eco Friendly HPL Wayfinding Signage
eco Friendly ecoDURA High Pressure Laminate wayfinding signage
One of the major talking points concerning sustainability is the importance of using eco friendly timber from sustainable sources.
According to the Forestry Commission, deforestation is the world’s second largest source of greenhouse gas emissions. Architects, landscape architects, developers and contractors are encouraged to source materials from well managed forests where trees are replanted as they are felled.
Over 50 certification programmes exist worldwide that address the different types of forests. PEFC and FSC are the most well-known certifications
Kraft pulp sourced for our ecoDURA product meets the Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification PEFC
PEFC is an international organisation dedicated to promoting sustainable forest management (SFM). Achieved through independent third party certification, PEFC is not a standards agency but a mutual recognition scheme. It not only focuses on the ethical aspects of SFM but also the processing of timber. Consequently a larger emphasis is placed on the supply chain than FSC.
Both schemes are recognised by the Forestry Commission.
- ISO 4586 & European Standard EN 438 (European HPL regulations) set out the performance characteristics and minimum requirements for HPL.
- ecoDURA meets the requirements of Parts 1 & 2
- Tested according to physical properties such as accelerated ageing.
- ecoDURA offers a 10 year warranty according to ISO 4892 parts 1 & 2
- Fire resistance is also key, by nature laminates are organic materials which do not ignite easily when exposed to flame or contribute relatively little in the event of a fire. Widely used in the construction and transport industries.
- ecoDURA comes with fire resistance of M2 as standard or M1 by specification according to Euro-class standards
- With respect to ‘Reaction to Fire’ BS EN 13501-2:2016 – ecoDURA complies with the requirements Classes B, dO
- Furthermore passes BS 476-6:1989+A1:2009 (Class O) and BS 476-7:1997 (Class 1) for Surface Spread of Flame and Fire Propagation
Being fully recyclable with these eco friendly environmental & technical accreditation’s, it scores significantly over ACM/Dibond or GRP products.
ecoDURA High Pressure Laminate product finds its way into numerous way-finding and interpretive projects in the heritage market. Despite being essentially a ‘pulp’ product, the resin impregnation and thermoforming gives it full impermeability to water and the outside elements. Furthermore, there will be no ingress through the edges and can be used in wet areas. Likewise, one of our projects sits on a reef in the Mediterranean to provide flora & fauna information to divers.
Street furniture such as benches, planters prove ideal for ecoDURA. CNC routing to a depth of around 4mm permits, ‘brass rubbings’ or magnetically held panels to be incorporated. Therefore interchangeable variable message signs such as ‘seasonal opening times’ can be created.
Interactive exhibition piece constructions, like the children’s learning panels in Image 1 below, is also a very creative use of HPL that we have been involved with.
- Maximum size one panel 1200mm x 2700mm
- Thicknesses: 0.8mm, 3mm, 6mm, 10mm & 13mm
- Custom thicknesses available in full panels
- Two sided print option – we are the only company to offer this
- Interior or Exterior grades available
- Gloss or satin/matt finishes
- No minimum for size and quantity
European Standard EN 438 (European HPL regulations) and ISO 4586 set out the performance characteristics and minimum requirements for HPL.
Furthermore, the products physical properties such as accelerated ageing are tested, where ecoDURA offers a 10 year warranty according to ISO 4892 parts 1 & 2.
EN 438 is the most complete and recent standard where ecoDURA meets the requirements of Parts 1 & 2.
Fire resistance is also key, by nature laminates are organic materials which do not ignite easily. When exposed to flame they contribute little in the event of a fire so perfect for construction and transport industries.
ecoDURA comes with a fire resistance of M2 as standard or as M1 by specification. With respect to ‘Reaction to Fire’ BS EN 13501-2:2007 + A1:2009 – ecoDURA complies with the requirements Classes B, d0, and passes BS 476-6 + A1:1999, (Class 0) plus BS 476-7:1997 (Class 1) for Surface Spread of Flame and Fire Propagation.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information or +44 (0)1282 867 390 for a chat about available options or any of the detail above.